NGSS & NOAA Literacy Principles
We have utilized some of NOAA’s literacy principles (LP) to frame our educational goals for understanding climate change, ocean acidification, sea level rise, and future topics. We are using Ocean Literacy, Climate Literacy, and Estuary Literacy. Please continue down the page for more information on each LP series and alignments.
NOAA Literacy Principles
During the first year of our NOAA grant, the 2016-2017 school year, we will use the Climate Literacy and Ocean Literacy principles. Both of these documents are great reading materials for fellow teachers and even students!
We will focus on numbers 2, 3, and 6 of the Ocean Literacy Principles.
2. The ocean and life in the ocean shape the features of Earth.
3. The ocean is a major influence on climate and weather.
6. The ocean and humans are inextricably interconnected.
We will focus on numbers 1-7 of the Climate Literacy Principles.
- The Sun is the primary source of energy for Earths climate system.
- Climate is regulated by complex interactions among components of the Earth system.
- Life on Earth depends on, is shaped by, and affects climate.
- Climate varies over space and time through both natural and man-made processes.
- Our understanding of the climate system is improved through observations, theoretical studies, and modeling.
- Human activities are impacting the climate system.
- Climate change will have consequences for the Earth system and human lives.
The National Marine Educators Association (NMEA) has created several tables that help teachers align Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) with the Ocean LPs. We are working to bring you NGSS alignments for Climate LPs. When we post lesson plans and curriculum on this site we will include these alignments for your ease.
Ocean Literacy Alignments
Alignments are broken into K-2, 3-5, 6-8, and 9-12. These will be an incredibly powerful tool to expedite the alignment process, and it could help when trying to build a lesson plan for specific DCIs or topics. The table shown below is for grades 6-8. The PDFs located below include the tables, and provide a background of the Rating Scale and an Explanation of Ratings (example below) for each alignment. The scale ranges from foundational building block alignments to word for word connections between the OLP and NGSS.
Alignments for Ocean Literacy Framework to the NGSS
Further resource: Ocean Literacy Framework Diagram
Climate Literacy Alignments
Please check back soon for CLP alignments with NGSS.